Welcome to the first step in becoming an independent contractor for Indiana Transport’s Tow-Away Division! This division focuses on transporting travel trailer and fifth wheel RV’s nationwide with 3/4 ton and 1-ton pickup trucks. We are excited to show you what our industry-leading operation has to offer! Please take a moment to read over the details and qualifications on this page, and don’t forget to call us if you have any questions.
After reading through the requirements below, if you would like to continue the process of becoming a contractor, submit the Application, MVR consent form, PSP consent form, and our recruiting department will follow-up via email the next business day. Thank you for your interest and we look forward to working with you!
Independent Contractor Qualifications
- Must be 25 years of age or older
- Class A CDL preferred but not required
- If the contractor does not have a CDL, a certain license may be required to transport RV’s.
- Applicant driving records will be checked for prior violations/convictions and approved or denied
- No history of drug, DUI, OWI, careless, reckless driving, or habitual offender convictions
- Full 10-year work history must be documented on the application
- Pass an Indiana Transport road test
- Pass a DOT drug test prior to being dispatched
- Must meet the physical requirements of 49 CFR 391.41
- Must have a smartphone (Android or iOS), no flip phones.
- Truck is to be 2011 or newer.
- Truck must be a heavy-duty 3/4 or 1-ton model (8 ft bed preferred)
- Truck must meet the requirements outlined in 49 CFR 396.17-23
- Truck must be equipped with the following:
- Adjustable Bumper Hitch – Class IV or Class V receiver with a 2 5/16 ball and a solid steel shaft rated at least 10,000 pounds. NO TRIPLE BALL OR 3-WAY HITCH
- 5th wheel – rated at 16,000 pounds or larger (20,000 preferred)
- Full-wheel mud flaps directly behind the tire and no higher than 6 inches from the ground
- Full-width solid rock guard located at the rear bumper and no higher than 5 inches from the ground
- Weight Distribution System
- Digital trailer brake control
- Mirrors that accommodate 102″ trailers
- 3 orange DOT approved triangles
- 1 mounted fire extinguisher with gauge
- 4-way lug wrench or torque wrench with ¾.13/16 & 7/8 deep well sockets
- Break-away battery & box with lid – 12-volt marine grade “wet” cell battery
- 4 wheel drive truck bed must measure under 59 (top of the bed to the ground)
- 7-way electric plug in the truck bed and at the bumper (4-6 ft extension if not)
- No window tinting is allowed on the driver door, passenger door, or windshield
- Radar detectors are NOT allowed in commercial vehicle
- Truck will be inspected by Indiana Transport for appropriate equipment prior to orientation
Supplies Recommended For Your Truck
- Auxiliary fuel tank, tool box, etc. that do not extend above your truck bed
- Load distribution bars for travel trailers
- 1 spring lock (D ring) or quick link to attach the emergency break cable to your truck
- Zip ties or bungees for license plate
- Spare fuses and light bulbs
- Assortment of bungee cords
- Everything in the bed of the truck must be secured! Nothing loose!